Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Stop complaining, let's watch greatness be defined!


Follow me on Twitter.

I wish someone knocked some sense into me in high school regarding my sleeping habits. While I now have a job that requires me to wake up at 5:30am, I've begun to fall into bad habits sleeping wise. I've been incredibly disciplined the majority of the year but the NBA Playoffs are bringing out the lazy part of me. However, last night, after going out to dinner with my girlfriend and her beautiful family, I told myself I'd go straight to the sack and pass out. And that's exactly what I did, in bed proudly at 10pm on the dot. Thank you.

I then wake up at 5:30am to a text message from one of my friends saying exactly this:

"LeBron is still on a holy mission, the rest of the team isn't. All great players need a Scottie Pippen. Mo Williams ain't no Scottie Pippen."

Laughs and eyebrow raises courtesy of @Soysaucer1, follow him for some funny stuff.

So yeah, I missed the game and I quickly read up on it and watched the highlights on my computer this morning. I haven't missed a game or an ending this playoffs but forgive me, my health was the prevailing need last night. And yes, I felt greatttt this morning. It's amazing how one can put sports on the backburner of things in life, right? The day has come, thank you again!

The result of the game last night is one I was not surprised by. Orlando has played fantastic this series and the mismatches they have in their favor compared to Cleveland are ridiculous, I've been saying that all along since watching how they came out hard in game one.

I heard Colin Cohwerd say yesterday the Lakers aren't as good of a "team" as we all want them to be but I don't buy that, yet at least. I do however wonder why people haven't said this about LeBron's crew. LeBron is doing what Kobe did several years back, shouldering the load of scoring in a "holy" way if you will. Kobe might be doing that a little out west and yes, that might be the reason they are deadlocked at 2-2, but the Lakers have showed why people think they are the favorites to win. The talent they have dwarfs any team in the NBA really. Oh yeah, let's feed Gasol the ball a bit more.

It's funny reading what people are writing online about Kobe versus LeBron, seeing all these commercials through Nike and Vitamin Water, and seeing a special that ESPN made on "The Dream Season: 23 & 24." I kept telling people this media blitz would get amped up beyond belief if we got that matchup but what are we thinking now with Orlando up 3-1? Will Adidas and Nike team up to make new puppet commercials with Dwight and Kobe? Ha, that would be something. I want a new puppet commercial with Kobe showing a new mixtape of LeBron's teammates being "unholy."

Some people are saying it's a poor decision for ESPN and Nike to be doing all this showcasing of LeBron and Kobe, especially since enough people believe the NBA "fixes" their games for better viewership (check out this interesting read by Sam Smith). While officiating is always questionable, I don't buy it. We wouldn't have seen Golden State beat Dallas several years back and the Clippers wouldn't have won the draft lottery. Let it go people. The question marks people have on this stuff and the anger that comes with them takes up more of the arguments than deciding who is truly the better team or who the better player is. It's a waste of time, let it go. Just do a quick search on Twitter and you'll be quickly laughing. Watch the games as what they are: entertainment. To say the games aren't entertaining is anyone's prerogative, that's cool. To get overly caught up in the officiating or the "fixing" aspect is dumb in my humble opinion. Let us watch greatness be defined people and then let's have some friendly debates.

No comments: